Tuesday, February 05, 2008

 

Next, the best

"I am 58 years old, and I can remember seeing most of the performances first-run since about 1957. (I am itching to put Yul Brynner on my worst list, but since I haven't actually watched his performance in 50 years, I feel that would violate the spirit of only listing performances that I've seen.) There are 11 performances that I am sure I have never seen. There are at least 15 more that I believe that I have seen but that I can not really recall well enough to offer an informed judgment. Therefore, roughly a third of the performances are not available for my consideration. I am not fond of the Academy's recent tendency to award the Oscar to performances that are essentially impersonations. (Capote being perhaps the most extreme recent example.) However, I don't wish to include Hoffman, Foxx, or Whitaker in my worst list since I think that they all did fine jobs with what was required of them."
Stertay

By Edward Copeland
When choosing the best of the best, there was a general acknowledgment (and frequent quoting) of Katharine Hepburn's famous words that all the right people won Oscars, just for the wrong movies. So, without further ado, let us praise the best of the best actors.


The best best actors
Not loved enough
The unloved
My picks

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Follow edcopeland on Twitter

 Subscribe in a reader