Tuesday, January 12, 2010

 

Centennial Tributes: Luise Rainer


By Edward Copeland
This is a skimpy tribute, but one that I just couldn't ignore because Luise Rainer has accomplished something no one else has in the history of this blog: She has achieved her Centennial Tribute while still being alive. She turns 100 today. It's been a long time since I've seen The Great Ziegfeld or The Good Earth, the two films that made her the first performer to win back-to-back Oscars in 1936 and 1937. I've also never seen her last film appearance in a 1997 adaptation of Dostoyesky's The Gambler. I'm sure I probably saw her guest shot in the 1970s on The Love Boat at some point, but don't recall it. However, being the first actress to win two Oscars, to win them consecutively and to make it to 100 years of age is deserving of some recognition.


Labels:


Comments:
And for making a return to blogging, here's an award for you!
 
Many thanks Peter.
 
It is good to have you back, Edward! I haven't seen The Gambler either but I would like to.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Follow edcopeland on Twitter

 Subscribe in a reader